ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Very Simple Granola

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Very Simple Granola

The deli, where I got my lunch almost everyday before the office moved, carries these yogurt parfaits. They are layers of plain Greek yogurt, slices of very lightly baked apples, honey, granola and topped with chopped fresh apples. They were meant to be breakfast. So by lunch time, there would only be one or two cups left, if I was lucky. I usually had them as afternoon snacks instead of getting candies from the evil vending machine.

About a week ago, the office moved 10 blocks north from 32nd Street to 40th Street - the land of cafes/delis/and lunch places. Since then, I have visited about 20 delis looking for something similar to the apple yogurt parfait. What I found were either overly sweetened yogurt with a few pieces of fruit and soggy granola or watery yogurt with chunks of cantaloupe and pineapples. Why you would want to add watery fruit to watery yogurt, I have no idea.

So I set out to make my own. Start with the granola - which was just lightly sweetened toasted oats. No nuts or dry fruit or any extra stuff. I came up with this recipe with just 4 ingredients: oatmeal, Agave nectar, oil and vanilla. The granola is very good on its own with either just milk or yogurt. But I like it best with honey and berries/chopped apples/chopped pears. I haven't tried with baked apples yet. So I can't say I succeed what I set out to do.



Ingredients
  • 4 cups traditional oatmeal (320 g)

  • 1/3 cup Agave nectar (95 g)

  • 1/4 cup light tasting olive oil (40 g)

  • 1 vanilla bean (or a couple of teaspoons of vanilla extract)

Directions
  1. Adjust the oven racks to top 3rd and lower 3rd. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.

  2. Whisk Agave nectar with oil. Scrape vanilla bean into the mixture. Mix well. Add oatmeal. Stir until well combined and pieces of oatmeal are wet.

  3. Divide into the two baking sheets. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the granola is golden brown. Stir, rotate and switch the pan after 8 minutes.

  4. Let cool completely in the pans and store in airtight container.