ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Cranberry Walnut Wholewheat Bread

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Cranberry Walnut Wholewheat Bread

My quest for the perfect cranberry/raisin walnut bread made with 100% whole wheat flour stops here. This is the one. I adapted the recipe from Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads: New Techniques, Extraordinary Flavor. The bread was extraordinary. It was soft and light. The wild yeast starter gave it wonderful complex taste.



It took a while to prepare for this bread. But it was well worth it. First, I cultivated yeast from the air with whole wheat flour and pineapple juice. That took about two weeks. I keep my yeast pet in the refrigerator and feed it every other week if I don't bake any bread. The night before baking the bread, I prepared a soaker and a mother starter. The soaker was basically soaking whole wheat flour in milk/water with dry fruit and a little bit of salt. Mother starter was kneading flour and water to the wild yeast starter and letting it rise.



Then on the baking day, all were combined with more flour and nuts. There were kneading, first rise, shaping, second rise, preparing the oven and finally baking. This sounds complicated but it's not. It just requires planning ahead and a little bit of patience.

Anybody who wants a perfect 100% whole wheat bread, please please get this book. It explains the science and everything bread fantastically. And the pictures are beautiful. I first borrowed a copy from The New York Public Library. But I used it so much during the three weeks that I had it that I bought my own.