ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Everybody's All-American

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Everybody's All-American


Hello my name is Liz, and I have never cooked a hamburger. Well, not until a few nights ago that is, when I decided to do an American Picnic dinner at home. I made cheeseburgers (fried! With American cheese on top, like they did in the 1950's!), deviled eggs, and cucumber slices.


I even used my star tip to pipe the yolks back into the eggs - so easy, so pretty. I used my citrus zester to score the skin of the cucumber and it made a pretty cool, modern pattern. Then I salted the slices and put them between paper towels and under a weight to let go of some of the moisture and let the salt seep in. My friend's mother used to do that for us after school, and I have always loved cucumbers done that way. It seems like a lot of work for just dinner at home, but they were small touches and made the presentation so delightful. Oh, and we ate the burgers protein-style, that is, wrapped in a leaf of Romaine instead of a bun.

For dessert, I just hulled some strawberries and topped them with a mixture of sour cream, brown sugar, and vanilla. It gives you the sensation of eating cheesecake - without the guilt, and without all of the work!