ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Lime Cupcakes with Toasted Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Lime Cupcakes with Toasted Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting

I have a lot of unsweetened dry coconut flakes in my cupboard. I have no idea 2 pounds of coconut would last this long. They are primarily for my granola. But I want to start using them for something else. The problem is that I don't like coconut cake... How is that possible? Right? I eat everything and like everything. Maybe I just haven't had a good coconut cake. So for these cupcakes, I decided to go a safe route - lime cupcakes (which I know would be super awesome) with coconut frosting.



They turned out beautiful. Coconut didn't add much flavor to the cream cheese frosting (which didn't help my doubt with coconut in cakes.) But it might be because my coconut was a little old and cream cheese overpowered it. It did add a little crunch and texture.



Ingredients - Make 18 cupcakes
  • 2 cups all purpose flour

  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

  • 1 stick butter - room temperature

  • 1/2 cup sugar

  • 2 large eggs

  • Zest and juice from 1 lime

  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt


  • 1 package 8oz cream cheese

  • 1 stick butter - room temperature

  • 1 cup confectioner sugar

  • 1 cup dry coconut flakes - toasted (I put mine on a stove top in a non stick pan until slightly brown.)




Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line muffins pans with liners.

  2. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a clean bowl.

  3. Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy - about 2 to 3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time. Beat thoroughly in between.

  4. Mix lime zest and juice into yogurt. Alternately stir in flour mixture and yogurt into the batter into 3 batches. Stir until well combined.

  5. Drop into the prepared pan by tablespoon. Be careful not to fill more than half. The cake will rise a lot. Bake for 18 minutes. Rotate the pan half way through the baking time (if your oven is like mine - hotter in the back.)

  6. Let cool in the pan for a minute then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.

  7. To prepare the frosting, whisk cream cheese, butter and confectioner sugar with an electric mixer in a clean bowl until fluffy - about 3 to 4 minutes.

  8. Frost the cupcakes. Dip the frosted ones in a bowl of toasted coconut to decorate.