ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Blueberry Burst

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Blueberry Burst

Before I received my ice cream maker, I started searching the internet and cutting out recipes from magazines. One internet recipe that I couldn't wait to make was this one from the Simply Recipes blog for Blueberry Frozen Yogurt.


It starts out with a lot of blueberries - 3 cups - to which you add sugar, lemon juice, and a small amount of cinnamon. Already it was starting to look and smell like like blueberry pie, which to me was an indicator that this was going in the right direction. The fruit and sugar gets cooked down to a beautiful purple compote-like thing, cooled, and then whole milk and whole milk yogurt are added. Whole milk yogurt was a bit challenging to find, but I finally ended up with some from Strauss Family Creamery, bought at nearby Andronico's. I did as the recipe suggested and did not blend the blueberries after cooking in order to leave some chunks and bits of fruit in the mix for texture. I did give it a quick whirr with the immersion blender just to incorporate the yogurt thoroughly, but not enough to break up the blueberries. I also added the least amount of sugar called for, because I love a good, tart yogurt taste.


Once cooled, I couldn't wait to churn it and see how the color and consistency turned out. It was GREAT, and the taste was amazing - really fresh and bursting with fruit. The texture was a bit more icy and less smooth than the vanilla ice cream, and it definitely got very firm upon freezing, but overall I would not change a thing.