ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Coconut Meyer Lemon Muffins

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Coconut Meyer Lemon Muffins

My last two attempts at gluten-free baking didn't come out so successfully. So I did some research (aka googling) and found out that I shouldn't use more than a couple of tablespoons of chickpea flour or other bean flour at a time because it has very distinct flavor. I also found out that in most gluten-free flour mix, people use about a third starch. It's usually a combination of corn starch, potato starch and/or tapioca starch.

Hmmm... I'm not super excited about all these highly processed starches. They can't be good for you. Right?

But I pressed on.

Another important ingredients to gluten-free baking is Xanthan Gum. It's used to replace gluten in wheat which gives that chewy feel in baked goods.

So I bought Xanthan Gum. It cost me a small fortune. But I'm already in too deep. I have to go all the way.



Although they are still dense, these muffins are not so bad. They don't fall apart. They taste good - slightly sweet - with a bit of crunch from coconut flakes - perfect for quick breakfast or afternoon snack.

Ingredients
  • 2/3 cup rice flour

  • 2/3 cup masa flour

  • 2/3 cup potato starch

  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

  • 1 teaspoon Xanthan gum

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes

  • 1/3 cup extra light tasting olive oil

  • 1/2 cup Agave nectar

  • Juice from a Meyer lemon and zest from 2 of them

  • 1 cup soy milk

Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a muffin pan.

  2. Combine rice flour, masa flour, potato starch, baking soda, salt and coconut flakes in a clean bowl.

  3. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, oil, Agave nectar, lemon juice, zest and milk together.

  4. Stir the wet ingredients into dry until just combined. Drop by tablespoons into the prepared pan. Bake for about 20 minutes.