ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Honey Nut Granola

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Honey Nut Granola

I had two staples breakfast during my trip in Mexico: scrambled eggs with tortillas and beans, or granola with fresh fruit and yogurt. Here's how they served me the yogurt-granola-fruit combo: HUGE bowl of delicious fresh fruit (all kinds of fruit including pineapple and watermelon...), a tablespoon of yogurt, and about a teaspoon of granola sprinkled on top.

I guess that's a good and healthy way to eat. But I couldn't help missing a big bowl of granola with tons of yogurt and three pieces of fruit. So the first thing I baked when I got to my kitchen was this:



This granola is different from what I usually make as it contains a lot more nuts and is sweetened by honey. The result is super crunchy and slightly sweeter granola.

Ingredients
  • 4 cups rolled oats

  • 1/2 cup oat bran

  • 1/4 cup ground flax seeds

  • 1 cup sliced almonds

  • 1 cup chopped pecans

  • 1/2 cup honey

  • 1/3 cup light tasting olive oil

  • 2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
  1. Adjust the oven racks to the upper 3rd and lower 3rd of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

  2. In a large bowl, combine oats, bran, flax, and nuts together.

  3. In a small bowl, whisk honey, oil and vanilla together. Pour into the dry ingredients. Stir until everything is wet.

  4. Distribute evenly on 2 greased or non-stick baking sheets (I used silicone mats) and bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Stir and rotate pans after 5 minutes.

  5. Let cool completely and store in air-tight containers.