ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Brown Sugar Apple Cupcakes

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Brown Sugar Apple Cupcakes

Can you guess what my favorite fruit of the moment is? That's right. Apples. After, vanilla custard apple cake and vanilla yogurt apple crisp, I still want more apples in my baked goods.

So I came up with:

Brown sugar apple cupcakes


At first, I was going to make caramel apple cupcakes but I couldn't find any caramel sauce or dulce de leche at the supermarket. I wasn't going to make it from scratch again. So I had to change my plan which, by the way, turned out brilliantly (for a change.)


Diced apples


I started with my favorite cupcake recipe (you know 2 3/4 cups flour, 4 eggs, 2 sticks butter, 2 cups sugar, etc.) Replaced all the liquid with diced 3 apples (about 3 cups), reduced sugar to 1 cup of white sugar and 2/3 cup of brown sugar.



For the frosting, I made brown sugar cream cheese frosting using all brown sugar (not the usual confectioner sugar) plus a tablespoon of corn starch as a guarantee that the frosting won't melt and fall apart during transportation.

Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting
  • 1 package of cream cheese

  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar

  • 1/4 cup heavy cream

  • 1 tablespoon corn starch

I just beat all the ingredients together with an electric mixer until smooth and fluffy. You might want to sift brown sugar. I didn't. And I had a few tiny clumps of it in the frosting which I painstakingly forked out one by one as I frosted my cupcakes.


Cupcakes fresh out of the oven