ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Pear Bran Bread

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Pear Bran Bread

Aka the ninja bread. Let me tell you how the bread got its name. Five of us, including the driver, were in one of these Jeeps. No, not the big comfortable SUV one. Not the new shiny one either. The one that's made for one driver and one passenger plus some space for equipments. The one that's about 10 years old with raggedy canvas roof and noises coming out of its transmission system every time it hits a bump. Five of us plus our camping gears were in that cozy Jeep for 3 hours.



When I pulled out a slice of the bread to munch, I was asked what it was. The conversation went something like this:

Driver: What is that goddamn black-biscuit looking thing?

Me: It's pear bread. It's black because I put molasses.

Passenger1 (at the top of his lung): What bread?

Me (screaming): PEAR BREAD! It tastes almost like ginger bread.

Passenger2: WHAT??!! NINJA BREAD?!?

Everybody: Awesome! Ninja bread! Give me one.

Driver (oblivious): I eat no nuts but this black biscuit is delicious.



Here's the recipe: KingArthurFlour.com.

Update - 11/18/2010

The second time I baked this bread, I measured out all the ingredients, in case I get more request to make it. Here's what I have assuming that my scale works properly.

Ingredients
  • 2 1/4 oz molasses

  • 2 1/8 oz honey

  • 1 large egg

  • 1 cup buttermilk

  • 3/4 oz light tasting olive oil

  • 7 1/4 oz all purpose flour

  • 2 1/8 oz bran

  • 2 oz brown sugar

  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 2 pears - chopped

  • 2 oz chopped walnuts