ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Plowing Down

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Plowing Down

Sometimes a meal is so good, it simultaneously makes you want to go out more and cook at home more. Such is the case with the breakfast that I enjoyed yesterday at new Portrero Hill breakfastery, Plow.

The only two meals they serve are breakfast and lunch. One menu. All day.

It's so simple.

Each meal is painstakingly prepared to order as you sip delicious coffee or tea. It's the opposite of fast food, but it's not slow food either. It's good food, done well.

While we were waiting for our meals, I had a chance to browse the cookbooks on their shelves. Tartine Bread, Five Points' Brunch, Alice Waters' The Art of Simple Food. I could have been staring at my own bookshelf.

I ordered The Plow, which is a little bit of everything. When my plate arrived, I knew I was in for a treat. It was so beautifully and unpretentiously presented, with each element getting equal real estate. 2 eggs over easy, house-made pork sausage, crispy potatoes, and lemon ricotta pancakes. Not a big stack of pancakes that has you moaning and groaning an hour later, just 2 small but perfect pancakes, and a little syrup for extra sweetness.


My husband got the Fried Egg Sandwich: fried eggs, Grafton cheddar, Nueske Bacon, frisee, aioli. And he ordered a side of one pancake.


A nice extra touch was the Youk's Hot Sauce.


After our meal, we walked out into the sunny day and were greeted with this view. It doesn't get much better than that.