ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Salsa Chicken

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Salsa Chicken


I really enjoyed this dinner from Monday night, and it was made when I had very little in the house in terms of groceries, and with no planning. It was easy to make, healthy, and very tasty - just the kind of thing I want on a weekday night. The only thing is that you have to start the chicken early - it really does have to simmer for 2 hours. I would imagine that it would be an ideal candidate for a slow cooker. Be sure to use spicy salsa, as it will mellow with cooking.

To dress the salad, I used one of my favorite dressings from Williams Sonoma. It has a nice sweetness that offsets the spiciness of the chicken. I topped it with some black beans that I cooked with scallions, sour cream, and cilantro. Dinner is served!

Salsa Chicken
  • 4 chicken breasts
  • 2 cups salsa - the spicier, the better
  • 3 cups chicken broth
Bring salsa and chicken broth to a boil.
Add chicken breasts.
Reduce to a simmer.
Cook for 2 hours.
Shred chicken apart with 2 forks.

Chile-Lime Vinaigrette
  • 3 T. fresh lime juice
  • 1 T. honey
  • 4 T. canola oil
  • 1/4 t. minced garlic
  • 1/4 t. ground cumin
  • 1/2 t. crushed red chiles
  • 1 T. finely chopped fresh cilantro
Assemble all ingredients and blend or shake to combine.