ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: My Bloody Valentine

Sunday, February 15, 2009

My Bloody Valentine


Ahh, Valentine's Day. What could be more sweet than a Red Velvet Cupcake with little candy hearts?

I hadn't made Red Velvet in over a year, mostly because the amount of dye in the recipe kind of grosses me out (4 oz. total) - and I can always taste it. But everyone seems to love them, and they are very pretty to look at. I went to my local baking supplies store in search of a better dye, and I found it. Gel dye, much more concentrated than the grocery store kind, and so much more economical - a huge bottle is only $10. And no taste whatsoever.


Well, I should have known by the name "Super Red" that I should be cautious about the amount I used. Instead of being cautious, I was rather generous:


If you have made Red Velvet, you know that the batter is always much more vibrant than the finished baked product. In this case, there was not too much color loss:


Because the red was so deep, I decided to tint the frosting blue rather than my original idea of pink. I love light blue and red together, and the blue provided a great background for my little heart decorations:


I packed up some boxes for my friends, and took them to a dinner party that we were invited to. Well, of course we had to dig into them late in the night, and well, this is what told me that there may be such a thing as too much red:


Anyway, it's a great recipe - just follow what it says and don't overdo it on the red dye. Happy V-Day!

Red Velvet Cupcakes

Cream Cheese Frosting

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease 12 cupcake cups or line with paper liners.
  2. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
  3. Add eggs and blend well.
  4. Make a paste of cocoa and food coloring and add to the butter mixture.
  5. Sift flour and salt togethr into this mixture.
  6. One at a time, add the following ingredients: buttermilk, vanilla, and water.
  7. In a small bowl, combine the vinegar and the baking soda. Fold it into the cake batter. Make sure it's incorporated, but don't beat it.
  8. Pour the batter into the cupcake cups. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the cake springs back when touched.
  9. Remove from oven and let cool for about 10 minutes, then turn out of pan and onto a rack to finish cooling completely.
  10. Cream Cheese Frosting: Blend together the following: 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened, 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened, 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Blend until smooth.