ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Fig and Date Muffins

Monday, May 14, 2007

Fig and Date Muffins

I bought dried figs and dates a while back to make this anise fig and date cookies but I don't have anise. Never got a chance to buy it. ... Actually I lied. I saw anise a few times in stores but I thought what would I do with the spice other than these cookies.... And I never bought it.

So I'm using the dried fruit for muffins instead. Problem was that I couldn't find a recipe. The closest one I found was this fig and date bread. I'm baking this recipe in muffin pan.



Ingredients
  • 1 cup chopped dates

  • 1 cup chopped dried figs

  • 1/4 cup butter

  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

  • 1 cup boiling water

  • 2 eggs - lightly beaten

  • 1/2 cup sugar

  • 3/4 cup all purpose flour

  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pan with liners.

  2. In a medium bowl, mix dates, figs, and butter in hot water. Stir until butter melted. Add baking soda. Stir gently. Let sit for 15 minutes.

  3. Mix all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, salt, baking powder and walnuts in a separate bowl. Stir in eggs.

  4. Add the dry mixture into figs and dates mixture. Stir until just combined. Spoon into prepared muffin pan and bake for 30 minutes

These muffins are way up there in my favorite muffin recipe list. Very easy to make. No need for any fancy tools.

Seeds from figs gave the muffins interesting texture. Dates gave this burnt sugary smell. Half a cup of walnuts gave just the right crunch. They actually taste like very very good fruit cake.