ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Waldorf Redux

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Waldorf Redux


Do you find most salads incredibly boring? I do! Endless bites of lettuce, followed by treasure-hunting with your fork to find anything sweet, salty or textured so that your taste buds don't fall asleep. I get sick of eating a salad about 5 bites in, unless it's a supporting player on a full plate of other things.

Well, here is a salad that stands up on its own. It's a take on the classic Waldorf salad, modernized and simplified to perfection. It comes from my favorite all-time cooking magazine, BBC's Olive, which is always trend-right but never pretentious (why is it that we can never get this right in America - our food magazines are either holier-than-thou or happy-hands-at-home, and nothing in between):

Winter Waldorf Salad
  • 1 red-skinned apple (my note: I used a Pink Lady)
  • 1/4 lemon, juiced
  • 2 tbsp mayonnaise
  • 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 stalk celery, cut into chunks
  • walnuts, handful (my note: get the freshest you can, as they taste best. I stock up on the organic ones from the farmer's market)
  • watercress, handful
- Cut the apple into chunks and toss with the lemon juice
- Mix together the mayonnaise and mustard, and toss with all of the other ingredients
(my note: I put everything in a large plastic storage container with a lid and give it a good shake. I also add salt & pepper)

This makes 2 small or 1 large salad. Shredded chicken would be a nice protein addition for a complete meal.