ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

Ha Ha! The 5th consecutive pie post. Congratulations to me although these are actually cookies. I don't know why they call them pies. English is kind of messed up. I looked all over the place to find out why. Even Wiki just says that they are traditionally made from leftover chocolate cake batter - nothing on the name...



I followed this recipe from MarthaStewart.com. Instead of ready-made pumpkin pie spice, I used my own spice mix:
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon

  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg

  • 1 teaspoon cloves

That's a total of 4 teaspoons of spices. I used have (2 teaspoons) for the cookies and the other half for the frosting. I know, that's 4 times the spice from the recipe, but I like my food spicy.



The cookies came out tender, perfectly spiced and not too sweet - perfect to sandwich with creamy cream cheese frosting. I used my usual cream cheese frosting recipe with added 2 teaspoons of the above spice mix. I didn't think I would need that much. I kept adding spices into the frosting half a teaspoon at a time and ended up using all of it. Cream cheese has its own very strong flavor.



Pumpkin spice cream cheese frosting
  • 1 stick butter - room temerature

  • 1 cup confectioner sugar

  • 1 package 8oz cream cheese

  • 2 teaspoon spice mix (see above)


The cookies got a lot of compliments especially how perfectly spiced they were!