ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Red Wine Apple Cranberry and Currant Crisp

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Red Wine Apple Cranberry and Currant Crisp

Umhmm.... That's all-the-things-I-have-in-my-refrigerator crisp. I had leftover red wine from a dinner party (months ago - not suitable for drinking anymore), a lot of apples from my apple pie madness, frozen cranberry that I bought on a whim from Trader Joe's. From my apple pie experience, I learned that McIntosh apples are sweet when baked. So I only used 1/4 cup of Agave nectar in the fruit and no sweetener at all in the crisp. It came out delicious with sugar-free and gluten-free bonus!



Ingredients
  • 9 McIntosh apples - peeled, cored and cut into chunks

  • 1 1/2 cups frozen cranberries

  • Zest of an orange

  • 1/4 cup dry currants

  • 1/4 cup red wine

  • 1/4 cup Agave nectar

  • 1 cup old fashioned oats

  • 1/2 cup almond flour

  • 1/4 cup sliced almonds

  • 1/4 cup chilled butter - cut into small cubes




Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

  2. Soak currants in red wine for about 15 minutes.

  3. Toss apples, cranberries, orange zest, and red wine soaked currant together with Agave nectar. Transfer to a 2.2 Qt. baking dish.

  4. In a large bowl, combine oats, almond flour, and sliced almond. Rub butter into the mixture until big chunks of butter disappear.

  5. Bake for 50 minutes. Let cool and refrigerate.