ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Something Fishy

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Something Fishy

“A woman should never be seen eating or drinking, unless it be lobster, salad and champagne. The only true feminine and becoming viands.”
Lord Byron (1788-1824)


This is Sam's Chowder House in Half Moon Bay. It seems like a classic old restaurant, but has only been open since October 2006. They serve sustainable fish and have many eco-practices in the restaurant - all good things. But the best thing? The Lobster Roll. So good that they earned an award for it!


I had a chance to try the famous sandwich on Sunday with 3 of my friends. Decadent and delicious. This kind of luxury doesn't come cheap - the Lobster Roll is $19.99, and comes with a side of slaw and chips. But the rare chance to eat that much lobster is well worth it.

Let's see - lobster, salad and champagne? Sure, I can live with that.

After lunch, we stopped at Creekside Smokehouse. What a treat - this tiny local smokehouse is a little-known treasure just off of Hwy. 1. Everything there is smoked on premises, and they do both cold and hot smoking, which creates a very different flavor and texture in the final product.


I wrote a Yelp review about it about 6 months ago, and I had received a nice note from the owners thanking me. To my surprise, they recognized me right away and greeted me by name when I came in! Teri sampled what seemed like everything out of the case for us - salmon, albacore, sturgeon and 2 kinds of cheese. I walked out with my two favorite things, salmon spread and cold smoked salmon.


As if that weren't enough, Teri wrote to me to thank me for bringing my friends in, and let me know about a mention in their blog. So nice!