ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Bhujia Cookies

Monday, December 8, 2008

Bhujia Cookies

A friend gave me a bag of Bhujia - Indian deep fried noodle snack. It tastes like spiced potato chips. I didn't want to finish the whole bag by myself because, you know, fried food is not healthy... So I decided to make cookies from it. I saw potato chip cookies on Food Network once so it can't be too outlandish. They basically crushed some chips and added them to cookie dough. I didn't even have to crush Bhujia. It already came in short tiny noodle shape.



I added Bhujia in my shortbread cookie recipe and dropped the dough instead of cutting. The cookies came out super buttery and crunchy with a hint of spices. Interestingly, they taste like peanut butter cookies - but better, much better. I imagine these will be good with other kinds of potato chips as well. Maybe I'll try it with BBQ Lays or Salt and Vinegar Pringles next time. Or will that be gross?



Ingredients
  • 2 sticks butter - room temperature

  • 1/2 cup sugar

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • 2 cups all purpose flour

  • 1 cup Bhujia (or other crushed potato chips)


Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Adjust oven racks to the lower third and upper third. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

  2. With an electric mixer, beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy - about 2 - 3 minutes. Add salt and vanilla. Continue beating until well combined.

  3. Reduce speed to stir and add flour. When the dough is well mixed, stir in Bhujia.

  4. Drop by tablespoon onto prepared baking sheets. Flatten with fork. Bake for 15 minutes. Switch the baking sheet position half way into baking. Cool on cooling racks. Make 40 cookies.