ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Calling all Campers!

Monday, December 8, 2008

Calling all Campers!


A few months ago, my friend Claire suggested that I participate in Cupcake Camp. That may bring to mind a room full of cheerful people making and creating cupcakes, but in reality you bring cupcakes to a specified warehouse-like location and in military-precise timing, they are distributed, judged and eaten. Eaten doesn't really do it justice. Hoovered. Inhaled.

The reason for the aggressive-sounding words, is because aggro is exactly what Cupcake Camp is. Woo-whee, cupcake people give Who concert-goers a run for their money! I am shocked that there were no casualties by trampling. Cupcakes are no longer the happy, party food of children's parties and high school bake sales, they are complex and meticulously crafted works of art, and people are literally driven insane in their presence.

Here is what I saw when I registered and came to the door:


Intimidating, no? Well, try being smack in the middle of it! Ahhhhh! Not for the weak of heart.


There was an impressive lineup:



You can also see pix including the lineup and my specific cards here - sort of like a cameo, right?

Total: 95 bakers in all, and over 300 tasters. It felt like I had landed in the MacWorld of Cupcakes.

Here were my entries, looking pretty but rather humble - Fresh Strawberry and Chocolate/Salted Caramel:



I only have a vague idea of how they did or if people liked them. A couple of my friends mowed down some other tasters to grab one of mine, which I totally appreciated. I stayed in the main room for as long as possible, then went and hid backstage where I had a much better view of the cupcakes.


Hanging out and taking pictures, I got to meet Rachel, one of the awesome bloggers of Cupcakes Take the Cake, which was a treat.

All in all, it was an impressive (bordering on insane) demonstration of cupcake love, and a great reminder that the average home baker can create something whimsical, delicious, and artful, requiring just some skill and lots of imagination. And it makes my motto hold true, beauty is definitely a matter of personal taste.

I leave you with this lovely confection of a dress - this girl wins for most spirited camper!