ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Red Wine Quinoa Risotto with Mushrooms and Bacon

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Red Wine Quinoa Risotto with Mushrooms and Bacon

Encouraged from my last cooking success, I tried something more exciting and complicated this time. I had a leftover red wine from the Middle Age and a box of Quinoa. So I figured I would try making risotto with them. A whole grain version of risotto.

And it turned out really good! Maybe it's the bacon, garlic and cheese combination. Maybe it's just me. I'm hungry all the time so everything tastes delicious.



Ingredients
  • 1/2 onion - chopped

  • 5 cloves garlic - peeled and chopped

  • 3 strips bacon - diced

  • 1 cup Quinoa

  • 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock

  • 1 cup red wine

  • 2 cups water

  • 1/2 pound of mixed mushrooms - cut (I used a combination of Cremini, Shitake, and Oyster mushrooms. They came in a mixed mushroom package from Trader Joe's.)

  • 1 teaspoon dry oregano

  • Salt and pepper

  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions
  1. In a large pot or deep pan, cook bacon on medium high heat for half a minute until bacon fat coats pan's bottom. Add garlic and onion. Let cook and stir occasionally until the onion starts to brown - about 2 minutes.

  2. Add red wine and Quinoa. Let cook until bubbly. Add vegetable or chicken stock. When the dish comes to boil, reduce heat to simmer. Add oregano.

  3. Add half a cup of water at a time when Quinoa absorbs all the liquid. Let simmer for about 20 minutes or until Quinoa becomes clear without white center.

  4. Stir in mushrooms. Cook for 30 more seconds. Turn of the heat. Stir in grated cheese and season with salt and pepper.

  5. I would sprinkle chopped spring onion or parsley before serving but I didn't have any. I think it will give a nice crunch and refreshness to the dish.