ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Mr. Green Beans

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Mr. Green Beans


I don't know if all of you watched the Captain Kangaroo show as kids - I did, and there was this character called Mr. Green Jeans, who I used to call Mr. Green Beans.

Anyway, I had a bunch of fresh green beans left over from Sunday's market raid, and I made a recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks, Jamie Oliver's Jamie's Dinners. I love this book because it focuses on simple, inexpensive dishes that use easy-to-find ingredients, and the recipes are friendly for people of most ages and palates. I had everything that I needed right in my pantry, and in no time I had a delicious side dish that was perfect for everyday or having guests. I didn't have white wine vinegar, so I used white balsamic which worked fine. I love garlic, so I used a whole clove, which helped keep the flavor through to the 2nd day.

Green Bean Salad
  • 4 handfuls of fresh green beans
  • 2 -3 heaped t. of good French mustard
  • 2 T. white wine vinegar
  • 7 T. extra virgin olive oil
  • sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 med. shallot, peeled and finely chopped
  • 1 T. capers
  • 1/2 clove garlic, finely grated
  • optional: a small handful of fresh chervil
Bring a pan of water to a fast boil, add your beans, put a lid on the pan, and cook for about 4-5 min.
Put the mustard and vinegar into a jam jar or bowl, and while stirring, add the olive oil to make a good hot French dressing.
Season carefully with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, then add the finely chopped shallot, capers, and the garlic.
Test the beans - when one holds it shape, but is soft, it's perfect. Drain in a colander.
Dress the beans while they are steaming hot.
Serve in a bowl, sprinkled with chervil if you like.