ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Pirates and Beer

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Pirates and Beer



Happy Halloween, Scallywags!

I won the wrappers and skull & crossbones decorations at the Iron Cupcake Challenge on Monday, so yesterday I made my Pumpkin Latte cupcakes and brought them to share with my Craft friends. Everyone was too full to swab the decks or walk the plank!

Iron Cupcake Challenge is an event that I started attending in August, when two friends sent me an article from Daily Candy, and suggested that I compete. Every month, there is a new ingredient that you have to incorporate, and August was Pepper. With over 25 entries, I was shocked to get third place for my Ginger Lemon Cupcakes with White Pepper Frosting. That encouraged me to compete again, and in September (Squash) I made Apple Butternut Squash Cupcakes with Curry Frosting. That time I did not place, but Chelsea, the founder of the contest and business owner of Kingdom Cake, asked four of us if we would consider running the future contests. We agreed and this month it was our turn to host.

Since it was the 1-year anniversary of the monthly contest, we decided to do something celebratory and seasonally appropriate: BEER/Oktoberfest. It was a lot of fun, and we had about 21 bakers show up, as well as a slew of tasters (Bakers get in for free, Tasters pay $5 and get a free tea from our hosts, Leland Tea Company). Since everyone tries every cupcake and is required to rate every cupcake, it's fair game as to who wins.


Jude gave me her recipe for Guinness Gingerbread, which everyone loves. I used it to make 48 mini cupcakes, which I topped with Cream Cheese Guinness Frosting.


I came in 4th place, but since the 2nd place winner didn't stick around for the results, I ended up getting 3rd. It was nice to get the recognition, but we decided that going forward no committee member would be able to win anything but "Most Creative", which is just a certificate, not a prize. It is amazing what stuff people come up with, and very inspirational.


It was nice to have some friends show up, too - my friend Lisa's neighbor Lisa won 2nd Place AND Most Creative with her delicious Root Beer Float cupcakes.


Anyway, it was great fun and I am looking forward to next month, in which the theme will be "Thanksgiving".

Until next time, I'll catch ye landlubbers later - I am off to celebrate this day in proper pirate fashion! Aaaaaargh!