ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Eat Brownies, Save Bunnies!

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Eat Brownies, Save Bunnies!



Today was the SF Vegan Bakesale, which took place in the Castro on this crisp and sunny December afternoon. I missed the last one, and was dying to check it out, not only for the delicious baked goods but because one of the sponsors is Vegansaurus, a wonderful blog written by my friend Laura & her crew. Yes, I will gladly save my pennies and buy brownies and cookies for a friend - that's just the kind of generous person that I am.

There was a good sized crowd and a lot to choose from, with prices ranging from about $1.50 - 5.00, all to benefit Save a Bunny and the Food Environment Project.




And there were real, live bunnies! I actually got into the bunny cage to pet them - so very very cute. Yes, in case you were wondering, I was in the bunny cage when I took this picture. Living on the edge, I am!


With so much to choose from, it was hard to decide, but having these nice take-away boxes made it that much easier. In the box are (clockwise from upper left): Ginger-Apple Cake, Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookie, Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookie, Peanut Butter Chocolate Brownie, and an Apple Oatmeal Bar. And can I just say, yum.


I am inspired to learn to bake some vegan treats, and it will be a real challenge on me, since I am so dependent on butter and eggs and milk in my baking. Even powdered sugar is off limits, because most commercial powdered sugars are filtered through charcoal made out of bone. But with books out there like Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, and a little creativity, I am excited to see what comes out.

What I came away with most of all is a warm feeling for those that believe in causes and are out there doing something about them. While most of us are running around getting our Christmas decorations and presents, these guys are giving up their Saturday to raise money for an important cause. It is a great reminder of what "giving" is really all about.