ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Leggo my Bagel

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Leggo my Bagel



I love a place that has their own mural, depicting people in an urban setting enjoying their product. Such is the case with House of Bagels, one of the few decent bagel places in San Francisco.


It's not exactly H & H, but this is as close as you'll probably get on the West Coast. They have a good crust, a good chew, and sometimes they are still warm when you get them. Great flavors, including the classics like Egg and Sesame, and one that was new to me and my favorite, Corn.


The place definitely has an East Coast feel - no frills, no nonsense, a little cheek (note the Ramones T-shirt on the employee - yay!). They also do deli sandwiches and carry some of my favorite items like whitefish and chopped liver. The best flashback to NYC came to me when I was browsing while waiting for my order...the black and white cookie! The symbol of unity, elevated to mythic status by Seinfeld, and a treat loved by almost all people. Where there is the black and white cookie, things must be all right in the world. At least for a few sugary moments.