ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Molasses Chocoate Caramel Candy

Friday, January 22, 2010

Molasses Chocoate Caramel Candy

My brother asked me to buy him some caramel candies from Jacques Torres. I said: "Why?" Who eats caramel candies anyway? It's just burnt sugar and it sticks to my teeth forever. But because I am a good sister, I got him two huge boxes ($16 for 18 pieces!)

Then I tried one. Then two. Then three. And I couldn't stop. I ended up eating a third of the box...

I guess being forever sticky has its own appeal.

Not wanting to spend almost a dollar a piece for caramel candy, I set out for my own caramel candy recipe to make at home.

Here's my first try: chocolate caramel candy. I picked this one because it didn't require a candy thermometer (which is my mistake number 1.)



I cooked everything according to the recipe except that I didn't know how to check for the right consistency under cool water and ended up burning my index finger. Up to the index-finger-burning point everything was pretty easy.

I was very excited to cut and wrap the candies up. I was dreaming of mailing them to brother to surprise him.



But it was a mess. The brick of caramel doesn't quite harden enough. I guess I should have cooked it a little longer. I muscled through a few wrappings and got about 20 candies before giving up. They were soft sticky candies that tasted more like burnt molasses than chocolate. Not quite the quality I want to airmail to Thailand yet...