ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Merry Smithmas to All, and to All a Good Night

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Merry Smithmas to All, and to All a Good Night



Christmas Eve, or Smithmas Eve, as we like to call it, was a great success this year. We had over 25 people at our house, from about 4pm to about 2am, nonstop. I had fun decorating and then watching my house turned upside down as more and more people stopped by. The fabric placemat in the display on our entrance table was sent to me by my Aunt Becky - it was hand-loomed by my great-grandmother Carrie Chambers over 75 years ago. It is in great condition and I was honored to have a chance to showcase it.

One of the best things that we did this year was to have some food ready for the guests that came early in the day, so that we could concentrate on the food that we would serve later. We never do a sit down meal, but rather set the dishes out buffet style or passed around on trays. The day before, I made a batch of my chili and some Swedish meatballs, and had them warming in 2 different slow cookers, with the condiments and bowls set out so that people could serve themselves. The meatballs were delightfully easy to make and delicious, using a cream sauce based on the Ikea recipe (thanks, Nysa!).


Because the party went into full swing from the moment the first guests walked through the door, I don't have many pictures of the actual event. Here are some from the calm before the storm. Sophie is resting on the couch here, with no idea how many people are about to descend on her world of comfort and quiet. I put out some cheeses and spiced nuts for people to enjoy while Charles and I were busy in the kitchen.



And of course, it wouldn't be Christmas without my bacon and caramelized onion tart.


For the rest of the food, we had a baked ham, individual mac & cheeses (by Jude), prime rib, mashed potatoes, root vegetable terrine (by Jude), green bean casserole (which I am always forced to make argh!), asparagus with Hollandaise sauce, salad (by Jude), gnocchi with caviar and creme fraiche (by Ken).


For dessert, I made a pumpkin pie and a chocolate bourbon walnut pie. Jude made a delicious sticky toffee pudding and so many people brought desserts, from pecan pie to apple pie to fruit tart to dozens of assorted cookies. The dessert table was overflowing and sadly, some of them didn't make it to the leftovers stage.

Our friends are always generous with their compliments, but what I heard the most this year was that the food was really excellent. It was so great to hear, considering how hard we worked to make everything taste good. And of course we could not pull it all off without the help and contributions of our friends, who are not only give their support but their culinary talents as well. I loved seeing everyone try to make it all work in our tiny kitchen, helping each other and doing their best in the cramped quarters. That is what makes this night the best gift I could ever hope to receive - my house filled with the people that I hold dear, enjoying themselves and eating and drinking well.