ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Artful Dodger

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Artful Dodger


Thursday was my volunteer day at the de Young. It went really well, mostly due to the fact that the museum supports a full-time, year-round volunteer program (of about 600 permanent volunteers), they are extremely organized, we were very well-staffed.

Our job was to take visitor surveys. By filling out the survey, a participant received a free poster. I love interacting with the public, especially the older people who had such wonderful stories to tell of the museum's former years and old San Francisco. There was a couple (ages 87 and 65) who was so giggly and cute and flirtatious , they could have been teenagers.

My working hours were only from about 12-2, and then we were free to enjoy the museum for the rest of the day. With our volunteer badges, we could go to the front of the line for special exhibits, and enjoy a 20% discount at the store and cafe. I stayed until 4, exploring the Chihuly exhibition, Jane Hammond: Paperwork, and For Tent and Trade: Masterpieces of Turkmen Weaving, and Timothy Horn: Bitter Suite.

The Chihuly was amazing, beautiful, stunning, otherworldly. The color was absolutely incredible, and I felt like Alice in Wonderland, half expecting to see mythical creatures perched atop the flowers, plants, and undersea creatures. The scale and scope of it was breathtaking.

I also really liked the Jane Hammond exhibit, which made me want to get out my art supplies and do a little creating of my own.

There were a couple of really interesting pieces by Timothy Horn, made out of sugar - magical!

Highlights/Chihuly:




Highlights/Jane Hammond:




Highlights/Timothy Horn: