ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Margarita Shortbread Cookies

Monday, August 11, 2008

Margarita Shortbread Cookies

What happens when you forget to salt your cookie dough? I sprinkled salt on top of my cookies and got delicious salty cookies. The first time this happened I was baking Lemon-Lime cookies with Hannah. The cookies turned out so good that I had to repeat. This time I only used limes and call them margarita cookies.



When they first came out of the oven, I thought they were way too salty and not sweet enough. Then I remembered that Hannah rolled the cookies with confectioner sugar while I rolled mine with flour... So I dusted my cookies with loads of confectioner sugar to make them sweeter. And I got a perfect sweet salty sour and buttery deliciousness.



Ingredients
  • 2 sticks butter - room temperature

  • 1/2 cup sugar

  • Zest from 2 limes plus juice from 1 lime

  • 2 1/2 cup all purpose flour

  • 1/4 teaspoon salt plus more for sprinkle

  • 1/4 cup confectioner sugar for dusting

Directions
  1. With an electric mixer, beat butter with 1/2 cup of sugar until light and fuffy - about 3 minutes.

  2. Add lime zest and juice. Beat until well combined.

  3. Reduce the mixer speed and stir in 2 and 1/2 cups of flour. Form the dough in to ball and refrigerate for 2 hours or freeze for 30 minutes.

  4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.

  5. Roll out the dough on lightly floured surface to about 1/2 to 1/4 inch thick. Cut out with cookie cutter. Lightly sprinkle sea salt on the cut out cookies. Bake on prepared cookie sheets for 15 minutes.

  6. Transfer the cookies onto cooling racks and dust them with confectioner sugar while they are still warm. Let cool completely. Make 50 yo 70 cookies.