ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Apple Streusel Pie and Honey Apple Pie

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Apple Streusel Pie and Honey Apple Pie

I don't know what got into me. Last week I bought about 10 pounds of apples wanting to make pies. I baked two. And I still have a lot of apples left. The first pie I made was apple streusel pie. I used 9 McIntosh apples, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg for the filling, and 3/4 cup of oats, 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, 3 tablespoon butter, 1/4 cup raw sugar and 2 teaspoon of cinnamon for the topping.



The streusel pie came out a little sad looking because the topping didn't brown even though I baked it for almost an hour. I guess there's not enough butter.



I think the pie was a bit too sweet. Maybe I shouldn't use sugar at all in the filling and should just rely on sweetness from the streusel.

The next pie is a little simpler - a regular double-crusted pie, but instead of sugar, I used honey. This will be my favourtie pie recipe from now on. Nothing beats honey-apple and lots of butter combination.


Forgot that I should have crimped the pie at the end...


Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

  • 2 sticks chilled butter - cut into chunks

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 6 tablespoon cold water


  • 8 Granny Smith apples

  • 1/3 cup honey

  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

  • 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg


  • 1 egg


Directions
  1. Pulse 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, butter, salt and water with a food processor until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Gather into 2 balls. Wrap with Seran wrap. Flatten a bit and refrigerate for about 30 minutes to an hour.

  2. Roll out a ball of the prepared dough big enough to cover a 9-inch pie dish on a floured surface. Line a pie dish with the dough. Cover and refrigerate.

  3. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

  4. Peel, core and slice the apples into 1/4 inch slices. Toss with honey, flour, and spices. Transfer onto the prepared pie dish. Press down the filling a bit with your palms.

  5. Roll out the other half of pie crust. Cover the pie and crimp the edges. Lightly beat an egg and brush the pie.

  6. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 and bake for 30 more minutes.