ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Lemon Meringue Pie

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Lemon Meringue Pie

My first meringue pie... Inspired by a mini-meringue pie my friend, Livia, bought last weekend. I had a bite of it and could not forget how it was so perfectly creamy, sweet and tangy. I was determined to bake one in my kitchen so that we can have multiple bites each.



I decided to follow this recipe from Epicurious.com with a few changes. I reduced the sugar by 1/4 cup, used 1/2 cup store-bought lemon juice plus the juice from 2 fresh lemons and all their zest. I didn't have cream of tartar and used 1/4 teaspoon of white vinegar instead in the meringue.



The pie was let cool for about an hour then refrigerated overnight. In the morning, the meringue pulled away from the crust and the pie became weepy. According to notes on the recipe, I might have to use more corn starch or cook the filling a little longer and let the pie cool at room temperature longer. But it didn't really matter. The pie was delicious - light and creamy, not too sweet, with a perfect balance of salt, tang and sugar.