ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Doing it Raw

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Doing it Raw

I was jonesing for some sushi last night, so I walked over to Sansei Sushi on Waikiki Beach, near the Duke Kahanamoku statue. It's a nice little sushi bar featuring some very fresh fish and special rolls. The sushi chefs were friendly and cool, and I had the best uni of my life - amazingly fresh and tasty, like someone scooped it directly from the sea and plopped it into my mouth (with two quails eggs convieniently finding their way on top). Not everyone likes uni, but those who do know that it has to be super, super fresh. I always ask the sushi chef before I order it if they have it, and you can tell by his expression if it's as fresh as you want it. When I asked last night, his eyes widened and he said, "Oh, yes. Very fresh. VERY fresh." He was dead serious, and of course, it was just as fresh as he said.


I also tried one of the specials, which was innovative and very tasty - Torched Kampachi with a yuzu aioli, shiso, and hot sauce. It had a bright, tangy flavor and the flesh of the fish was amazingly tender.


The problem with sushi is that I can eat so much of it - put sushi in front of me, and I become like that whale that glides through the ocean with its mouth open at all times, with rolls and nigiri going in one after the other. Sansei is great, but not inexpensive - it would be easy to walk out of there $100 later, especially if you add beer or sake to your bill. I managed to restrain myself, but 24 hours later I am tempted to go back and have more of that uni...