ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Not Too Distant Shores

Monday, October 20, 2008

Not Too Distant Shores


When I landed on Oahu yesterday, I had to ask myself...why in the world have I never been to Hawaii before? It's a mere 5 hour plane flight from San Francisco, about the same time it takes to get to Chicago or New York, where I have been countless times in the 10 years that we have been living on the West Coast.

I came here to relax and it seems to have everything I need - beautiful beaches, great food, nice people and a snail's pace of life. I've never been in a place where the surf culture is this prevalent - everyone does it, and you see boards wherever you go.


My brother is living in Waikiki, so I am seeing this place from a different view than most vistors. The plethora of designer stores from Cartier to Prada to Quicksilver are virtually empty, looking out of place with their in-season plaid wool skirts and fur lined jackets, despite bus after bus of Japanese tourists. Who wants to shop when the beach is only a block away?


Time to get on the road and see where it takes us.