ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Eggplant Chocolate Chip Muffins

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Eggplant Chocolate Chip Muffins

During the past few weeks, my CSA gave me so many eggplants that I figured it wouldn't hurt trying something new with them. I might need to make eggplant ice cream next if there are more eggplants this week.

These muffins sound weird but they are actually not bad. My friend, Jaka, said if you put enough sugar and butter in anything, they will taste good. It is quite true in this case.



Based on zucchini muffin recipe on Simply Recipes, I pretended that my eggplants are zucchinis, substituted and changed a few things. And I got my weirdly fantastic eggplant muffins. They smell like eggplant but taste like chocolate!

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

  • 2 teaspoons baking soda

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 2 eggs

  • 1 stick of butter - melted

  • 3/4 cup Agave nectar

  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

  • 3 cups peeled and chopped eggplants (I used two small eggplants. Even after 25 minutes in the oven the eggplants didn't totally disintegrate. They gave a little veggie crunch to the muffins which I like. If you don't want that crunch, I would recommend process them in a food processor.)

  • 1 generous cup of chocolate chips


Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a muffin pan. I used silicone muffin cups so I skipped the greasing.

  2. In a large bowl, combine all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda and salt together.

  3. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, butter, Agave nectar and vanilla extract.

  4. Pour the wet ingredients onto the dry ingredients. Stir until just wet. Fold in eggplants and chocolate chips. The ingredients will be very sticky. Don't over mix.

  5. Spoon into the prepared pan. Bake for 25 minutes.