ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Gluten-Free Disasters

Monday, September 21, 2009

Gluten-Free Disasters

I needed to bake something to bring to a party but I ran out of flour. Out of necessity, I came up with genius moment. I would bake treats with gluten-free flour! So I looked through my brand new cookbook, Gluten-Free Baking Classics, and found a recipe for brownies.



The recipe calls for 2/3 cup of flour mix which is 2 parts rice flour and 1 part starch. Usually, I would just measure out what I need. But I don't know how to measure 2/9 cup of starch... So I came up with another genius idea. I would mix up more flour mix than I need and use the rest for muffins!



The recipe was for chocolate ricotta muffins. I only had cottage cheese. That's an acceptable substitute, right?

As you can tell from the post title, those genius moments weren't so genius after all. The muffins overflowed and made a mess. Both the muffins and brownies came out gritty and weird. I guess my rice flour is not as finely ground as recommended. Or my baking angel was just not with me...