ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Eat Your Greens

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Eat Your Greens



I blame the vegetarian. I think she jinxed me.

Today was a very strange day, food-wise, and I think it was because I spent an hour talking to a vegetarian last night. All I know is that I had great intentions, and the fates were not with me.

This morning I bought some nice produce at the market, including some beautiful kale, and a packet of Korma mix from a trusted vendor. When I got home, I planned a healthy Indian meal for dinner. I got started at 4:30, with a brown basmati rice on the stove, and chicken breasts simmering in a savory sauce. I then prepared a kale and chickpea dish, successfully getting everything coordinated to be ready at the same time.

When it was done, I tasted the Chicken Korma. Awful. I had my husband taste it. He made a face. It looked like watery paste and tasted like perfume, not like the silky, vibrant korma sauce we were used to. All of that work and preparation, for nothing! It was SO frustrating. Not to mention wasting a pound and a half of chicken - it was with a heavy heart that I threw it in the compost bag.

My vegetable dish, on the other hand, turned out very well, and was great over the rice. The spices were very nice and mellow. I added some roasted sweet potato chunks to the recipe but it was very tasty as is, too. I added salt to the original recipe, and altered it to use less of the broth.

As I started on dinner #2, bacon and eggs, I put some peanut butter chocolate chip cookies in the oven. Another miss! The dough was too crumbly and the cookies did not flatten properly. Some days, it's just best to stay out of the kitchen!


Indian-Spiced Kale & Chickpeas
  • 1 T. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 lb. kale, ribs removed, coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 C. chicken or vegetable broth
  • 1 t. ground coriander
  • 1/2 t. ground cumin
  • 1/4 t. garam masala
  • 1/4 t. salt
  • 1 15 oz. can chickpeas, rinsed
  • 1 sweet potato, diced and roasted for 30 minutes with olive oil and salt and pepper (optional)
Heat oil in a Dutch oven over med heat.
Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds
Add kale and cook, tossing with 2 large spoons, until bright green, about 1 min
Add broth, coriander, cumin, garam masala and salt
Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale is tender, 8 to 10 min
Stir in chickpeas, cover and cook until the chickpeas are heated through, 1 to 2 min
Add the sweet potato and toss to combine