ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Grapefruit Souffle

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Grapefruit Souffle

Ha ha! Success! Well, sort of. Look at how beautifully my souffle rose....



But then about half a minute later, it sank.



I finally went out and bought two 6-oz ramekins made especially for souffle. I almost followed Martha Stewart's Grapefruit Souffle with Ginger except that I didn't have ginger and I didn't want 6 portions of souffle (which must be eaten immediately.) So I tried to third the recipe and ended up with 1 grapefruit, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon corn starch, 1 teaspoon flour, 1 egg yolk and 2 egg whites with some salt and cream of tartar.

What could it be? Was it because I didn't beat egg whites long enough? I whipped it to soft peak. Maybe I need a stiffer peak. Or was it because I didn't have enough egg white to hold all the filling?



Anyway, I will try again with Mark Bittman's chocolate souffle next weekend.

At least, this time I got a much better result than last week. At this rate, I'll be souffle god whose souffle has a staying power for more than one minute by Christmas!