ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Spiced Apple and Plum Crumble

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Spiced Apple and Plum Crumble

I don't really know what the difference between crisps and crumbles are. Google turned up confusing answers. So I'm calling this one crumble because I already have a bunch of crisps on the site and I didn't use nuts in this recipe (because I was out.)

I made this crumble intentionally minimally sweetened. The crumble came out a little tart from Granny Smiths which was perfect for me. I resolved to eat more fruit and vegetable. This will be my breakfast and snack for the week. Red plums gave the dish pretty red hue.



Ingredients
  • 6 red plums, pitted and sliced each into 16 pieces with peels on

  • 5 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced each into 16 pieces

  • Juice from one lemon

  • 1/4 cup brown sugar

  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger

  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

  • 2 cups old-fashion oats

  • 1 cup almond flour

  • 1/4 cup cold butter - cut into small cubes


Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

  2. Toss plums and apples with lemon juice, sugar, and spices. Transfer to 9x13 inch baking dish.

  3. In a separate bowl, rub oats and almond flour with butter by hand. Sprinkle over the fruit. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes until the top is brown and fruit is soft.

  4. Let cool before serving.

For a normal sweet and buttery crisp, use 1/2 cup of sugar in the fruit, 1/4 cup of sugar, 1 stick of butter and 1/2 cup of chopped nuts in the topping.