ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Buttlermilk Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread

Monday, September 13, 2010

Buttlermilk Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread

I made these sandwiches to bring to a day session at the US Open last week. What I like the most about going to the US Open are probably that I get to make sandwiches for friends. This year I made avocado, brie, arugula and bacon sandwiches. The bread, of course, were homemade from this recipe on kingarthurflour.com.



I had made this bread a couple of times before with great result - soft, lightly sweet and beautiful dark loaf. This time I wanted to experiment a bit. I wanted to finish the carton of buttermilk I had. And I figured I could reduce some oil and sweetener (I used Agave nectar) in the recipe.



The bread came out not as beautifully domed as the original recipe but still with great texture and flavor.

Here are what I used
  • 8 oz buttermilk

  • 2 oz water

  • 1 oz light tasting olive oil

  • 2 oz Agave nectar

  • 14 oz whole wheat flour

  • 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast

  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt