ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: The Earl of Tea

Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Earl of Tea


I've always wanted to add an Earl Grey cupcake to my arsenal, and when we did TEA as the featured ingredient in this month's Iron Cupcake Challenge, it was the perfect opportunity to try one out.

I found this one online and it was pretty good. The only thing is, I am not a fan of self-rising flour. It has a weird, salty taste to me and I could definitely taste it in the cake.

I used double the amount of tea leaves called for, and that was definitely the right choice.

For the lemon frosting, I added both limoncello and lemon juice, as well as lemon zest. And the result was, well, lemony. So much so that it tasted good, but the subtle tea taste in the cupcake was lost.

I think I might brew some tea next time and experiment with that, and also try to find a bergamot to zest instead of lemon.

Oh and on top I added a candied violet, from a package that a friend brought me from France - love the color and taste.

So all in all, a good start, but needs tweaking. Tea-king? Never mind.