ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Raw Beet and Apple Salad

Friday, March 4, 2011

Raw Beet and Apple Salad

I thought long and hard about what salad to serve in last weekend's dinner party with all kinds of food restriction. I wanted a simple salad that I could toss and serve but I didn't want anything boring like just tossing greens with oil and vinegar. Then I came across beetroot, red apple and watercress salad from Jamie Oliver. It sounded perfect. I had raw beets a couple of times in restaurant. They were crunchy and sweet and pretty.



The night before the party, I made it for myself. Bless me. The salad tasted earthy - as in it tasted like dirt. Raw beets are really earthy. Lemon juice wasn't strong enough to over power it. But there was no going back. I already did all the shopping. So I went for it with a few changes.

I julienne the beets and apples and tossed the salad in balsamic vinegar instead of lemon juice.

The result was sweet and crunchy (and very pretty) salad. I patted myself in the back 10 times.



Ingredients
  • 1 small beet - julienned

  • 1 Gala apple - cored and julienned

  • A bowl of mix green salad

  • A glug of balsamic vinegar

  • A glug of extra virgin olive oil

  • Salt and pepper

Directions
  1. Toss all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Adjust vinegar, oil, salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.