ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Out of the Deep Freeze

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Out of the Deep Freeze


Sick again. Blargh. Too many times this year.

Haven't been to the grocery store this week, so the foraging was in full force this morning. Breakfast was good - a couple of slices of bacon, some aged cheddar, and half an Asian pear. Thinking that if I had had any eggs, that would have made a decent omelet.

When I am sick, I do not feel like cooking, and I am usually more clumsy than usual, so I should stay away from things like knives in general. I really really really wanted soup for lunch, but the only things in the pantry were some Cream of Mushroom (probably bought for a recipe), and some boxed chicken broth. Yawn.

And then, in the way back of the freezer, I spotted a container of Curry Squash Soup I had made a few months ago, bright yellow and beckoning to me like a playful ray of sunshine.

Defrosted in the microwave, finished on the stove, and it almost felt like I had made a fresh pot of homemade soup. It's wonderfully spicy, and I only wish I'd taken time to remember what I put in it.

But beggars can't be choosers, and this beggar is patting her full belly and preparing for a long nap. Must remember to make more soups in future to be frozen for these kinds of days.