ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Blackberry Muffins (with Flax)

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Blackberry Muffins (with Flax)

I don't know why I have frozen blackberries in my refrigerator. And I don't remember since when. I despise the fruit. It's super tart, too juicy, with weird texture. It was probably on sale.

Anyway, since I have my favourite muffin recipe - I might as well put it to the test with this alien-looking berries. I doubled the sugar because the fruit is super sour. To offset the point lost from increased sugar, I added ground flax seed and reduced oil. And since I used 2 cups of frozen berries - I baked them higher temperature.



Ingredients
  • 1 cup all purpose flour

  • 1 cup wholewheat flour

  • 2 tablespoons ground flax seed

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

  • 1/4 cup extra light tasting olive oil (or canola oil)

  • 2/3 cup sugar

  • 2 eggs

  • 1 cup non-fat plain yogurt

  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • 2 cups frozen blackberries

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a muffin pan with liners.

  2. In a small bowl, combine all purpose flour, wholewheat flour, ground flax, salt and baking soda.

  3. In a larger bowl, whisk oil and sugar together. Add eggs, yogurt and vanilla. Whisk until well blended.

  4. Stir flour mixture into the wet mixture until just combined.

  5. Fold in 1 cup of the berries.

  6. Drop the batter into prepared muffin pan. Place the remaining berries on top of the muffins. Bake for 18 minutes.


The muffins still came out really tart. Blechhhh.... Maybe they will taste better in the morning.