ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Fried Chicken a la Japonais

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Fried Chicken a la Japonais


Sometimes I get inspired to cook by visiting a new grocery store. Today I was in Fairfax with my friend Claudia and we went to her local market, Good Earth Natural & Organic Foods. Once I saw how good and fresh the corn on the cob looked, I knew it there was going to be a home-cooked meal on the table that night.

What I love best with corn on the cob is fried chicken. But I know from my friend Sarah that making good fried chicken is an involved process involving a long soak in buttermilk and other things that she has promised to teach me as long as I don't share her secrets with anyone.

So instead, I bought boneless skinless chicken breasts and made them katsu-style: first pounding them to thin them out, then coating them in flour, beaten egg, and panko bread crumbs. I heated vegetable oil in a heavy pan with a little bit of minced garlic, and fried them, about 5-10 min on each side. When they were done, I squeezed some fresh lemon juice on them.


They turned out really well - moist inside with a very satisfying crunch outside - and I didn't miss the skin at all. They were not oily, either. I made 2 extra which will be easy to slice up and put into a salad or burrito tomorrow. This is a dish I know I will make time and time again.