ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Voice of an Angel

Friday, September 21, 2007

Voice of an Angel


Last night I went to see Sheila Chandra at Grace Cathedral. What a venue, what a voice.

It was one of those perfect San Francisco evenings - a cloudless sky, the hint of a fall breeze, and a good book in hand as I waited in the Will-Call line. The crowd was as to be expected - women in flowing attire (Stevie Nicks + Wicca + Whole Foods + incense), and the soft, balding men who accompany them. I don't know why - for all of their supposed good karma, people like this make me feel the opposite of peaceful. The woman standing behind me kept bumping into me with her enormous ugly purse and I found myself wanting to throttle her. I was wondering what would happen if I suddenly shouted out "Mountain Pose!" or "Downward Facing Dog!" - would the crowd obey?

Rob arrived just in time. He is a good partner for my cynicism. He allows me to make snide comments while calling my bluff from time to time (I never act on my evil thoughts, just silently stew in them).

The concert was lovely. I chose a pew towards the back, but with a good view and a clear escape route should it prove to be too kum-bay-yah for our taste. No need - the music was pure and beautiful and inspiring. Even with the dolphin video playing in the background (hello, is the Mother Ship coming?). It is impossible to remain cynical with your mind and body filled with note upon note lifting your spirit towards the heavens.


Sheila Chandra has one of those voices that touches you completely. I remember buying her CD "Sheila Chandra/Moonsung - A Real World Retrospective" about 8 years ago when we first moved to California, and I was in awe of her range and skill, as well as her natural talent. She fuses traditional Indian chanting with Western music, in a style that is very unique. Hearing it under the canopy of the cathedral ceiling, it felt like all sense of time and place was lost - we could have been in medieval Europe, present-day Asia, or on a remote moutain top. Rob said that he wanted to lie down on the ground and close his eyes to hear the music, in a version of Savasana, and I couldn't agree more.

Her most known piece is "Ever So Lonely", which she has recorded both in English and traditional Hindi. I never tire of hearing it.