ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Let Them Eat (Cup)cake

Monday, September 24, 2007

Let Them Eat (Cup)cake


I received this adorable cake pedestal for my birthday from Jude & Ken, and I thought that I would break it in by making some cupcakes.

I made Devil's Food Cake with Mint Icing (I think I will call it "Girl Scout Cookie"), and Vanilla Cake with Cherry Icing (hmmmm, "Cherries in the Snow"? Wasn't that a lipstick color way back when?). The color of the cherry icing came out so beautifully, a delicate ballet pink. It would be very pretty against a chocolate cupcake, too.

I was pleased with the results, especially since I invented the flavor combinations in my head the day before, and also since I used a pastry bag to pipe the icing for the first time. Not as easy as it looks. Some of them came out little lopsided, but still looking better than spreading the frosting with a knife, which always looks so high-school-bake-sale to me. It will take some practice, but after frosting 48 cupcakes today, I am starting to get the hang of it.

I also bought some tins at the grocery store that come with raised lids and make excellent cupcake carriers.


"Good morning, Mr. M. Looks like you could use a CUPCAKE!"
- Reece Witherspoon as Tracy Flick, in "Election"