ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Apple Cranberry Crisp

Friday, November 23, 2007

Apple Cranberry Crisp

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I bought a bag of fresh cranberry meaning to make Cranberry-Ribbon Apple Pie. But my one and only pie dish was occupied by sweet potato pecan pie. So I made crisp - with apples and cranberries prepared according to the pie recipe. It will be healthier anyway - I can eat leftover for breakfast.

I used pomegranate juice instead of cranberry juice because in my supermarket they only have big huge bottles of 100% cranberry juice. I needed only 1 cup. What would I do with the rest? I hate drinking juice. So I bought the littlest bottle of 100% pomegranate juice I could find. I reduced the amount of sugar in the recipe and used a tablespoon of psyllium husk instead of 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour to absorb liquid from baked fruit.



Ingredients
  • 1 cup 100% pomegranate juice

  • 1 bag 12 oz. fresh cranberry

  • 1/2 cup sugar


  • 2 pounds granny smith apples - peeled, cored, and thinly sliced (I quartered the apple, and then quarter each quarter.)

  • 3 large golden delicious apples - peeled, cored, and thinly sliced

  • 1/2 cup sugar

  • Juice from 1 lemon

  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

  • 1 tablespoon ground psyllium husk (or 2 tablespoons all purpose flour)


  • 1 cup quick cooking oatmeal

  • 1/2 cup almond flour (or all purpose flour)

  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts

  • 1/4 cup chilled butter

Directions
    In a small saucepan, heat pomegranate juice with 1/2 cup sugar over low heat. Stir until sugar melted. Add cranberries. Let simmer and stir frequently until the juice reduced and absorbed by cranberries. At the beginning some of the cranberries may burst. You might want to cover the saucepan during the first few minutes. Let cool.
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

  2. Toss apples, 1/2 cup sugar, lemon juice, ground cinnamon and psyllium husk together. Pour into 9x13 baking pan.

  3. Pour cranberry mixture over the apples.

  4. In a clean bowl, rub oatmeal, almond flour, chopped walnuts and butter together by hand until there are no chunks of butter left. Sprinkle over the fruit.

  5. Bake for 45 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream for dessert or with vanilla yogurt for breakfast.