ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Coke Adds Life...to Beef Short Ribs

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Coke Adds Life...to Beef Short Ribs


Someone left a liter of Coke on my kitchen counter. I don't drink Coke, but it reminded me of Coca Cola braised shortribs that I had had at a restaurant some years ago. Time to bust out the slow cooker!

I found this recipe online, and it turned out great. Do not be afraid of using cola - it creates an amazing braising solution and sauce that is neither sticky nor sweet. It makes a lot (filled the slow cooker to the brim), so next time I might try and halve it. One change that I made was to use boneless short ribs - I bought about 2-3 lbs, vs. the 7-8 lbs of bone-in shortribs called for in the original recipe. The flavor was all there and it was a lot less work. No need to be too exacting when chopping the vegetables - they get strained out in the end.

It makes a lot (and would be ideal for company), and the leftovers are even better. The first night we had it with roasted fingerling potatoes, and the following night with garlic mashed potatoes. Mmmm.