ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Wholewheat Bread with Oatmeal and Flax Seeds

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Wholewheat Bread with Oatmeal and Flax Seeds

My life is so awesome... I just received my brand new camera, a Canon SD1100. I love it. It's just like my old one except better - lighter - and slimmer. And I baked the best and softest 100% whole grain bread. Nothing makes me happier.


Look! No red tint and no need to crop out red strip!


I borrowed Peter Reinharts' Whole Grain Breads: New Techniques, Extraordinary Flavor from the library. Read the whole thing cover to cover in 3 days. The book introduced the idea of delayed fermentation, just like no-knead bread, but with a twist. I want to call it delayed double fermentation. He suggested that flour with a bit of salt be fermented separately from yeast to let enzymes develop flavors from the flour and grains, while at the same time small amount of yeast and flour are fermented for a long time to develop gluten and different set of flavors.



I prepared this loaf of bread in two nights. The first night mixing and fermenting. The second night combining, kneading and baking. The result was the softest home-made whole grain bread. It's amazingly flavorful and tender.

I might have to buy this book. I already started my second recipe from the book: wholewheat raisin bread. Can't wait to bake it tomorrow night.