ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Toasted Coconut Cupcakes With 7-Minute Frosting

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Toasted Coconut Cupcakes With 7-Minute Frosting


For Jude's birthday, we decided that I would try a cupcake recipe from the February issue of Martha Stewart Living, which was all about cupcakes. The cake part was pretty good (reprinted below), but it was the 7-minute frosting that was challenging/fun part. All I can say, is thank God for my KitchenAid mixer, or I would never be able to make half of the stuff that I do. In honor of that fact, a bunch of us pitched in and got Jude a stand mixer of her own, so that she can experience the triumph of stiff peaks and whipped goodness that the rest of us do. Be warned, the 7-Minute Frosting takes a lot longer than 7 minutes, but it's gorgeous and worth the effort.



Coconut Cupcakes

Makes 24

  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup packed sweetened shredded coconut
  • 6 ounces (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 1/3 cups sugar
  • 2 large eggs plus 2 large egg whites
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • Seven-Minute Frosting
  • 1 1/3 cups large-flake unsweetened coconut*
*I was unable to find this, so I just toasted some of the leftover sweetened coconut that I had and sprinkled that on top of the cupcakes. It had a nice effect.