ta name="google-site-verification" content="LnUtT_d1nKFEi6qCVRa2VtURKXcUowdpcm2UMwFTZUk" /> hummus recipes: Real Men Don't Eat...

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Real Men Don't Eat...

On New Year's Day I decided to put into action a couple of my quasi-serious resolutions:

1/ Don't make resolutions - d'oh! too late.
2/ Don't be wasteful with food - use up what is there before buying something new.
3/ Be more intuitive/inventive with recipes - don't just go by the book.

This, from the woman with over 100 cookbooks.

So as a treat for our sleepy household, I woke up early and decided to make a quiche. It was breakfasty and seemed of medium difficulty, a dish I could whip up in case of last-minute house guests or for a quick Sunday supper with a green salad. I looked a few recipes, none of which were quite right, so I improvised. It turned out great, better than I imagined, and earned me some compliments, which I relished. So here, at long last, is a recipe of my own making. I'll give it the same name as my blog since I am debuting it here :)

"Today's Special" Quiche
Ingredients:
1 9-in. pie crust - home-made or store-bought, unbaked
4-5 slices of bacon - I used beef bacon
1 medium or 1/2 large onion - I used 1/2 of a Vidalia
1/2 C. heavy cream
3 eggs
1/2 C. shredded cheese - I used sharp provolone
Fresh Thyme
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Nutmeg
  1. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Chop onion and bacon (kitchen scissors work very well on the bacon). Saute together in a heavy pan until the bacon is crisp and the onions start to caramelize. Drain on paper towels and allow to cool slightly.
  3. Meanwhile, roll out the dough and fit into a 9-in pie pan, glass or ceramic.
  4. Whisk eggs and cream together. Fold in cheese. Add about 10 thyme leaves, and salt and pepper.
  5. Spread onion and bacon mixture on the pie dough.
  6. Pour egg/cream mixture over the onion and bacon.
  7. Sprinkle top with nutmeg.
  8. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until egg is set.